Thoughts on big trends in technology, media, politics, and society. Oh, and kind of a diary except more public.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Why This Blog Title: A Personal Philosophy

"Communications Bringing People Closer Together":

I work in the Communications and Media sector with responsibility for innovation and new products. Some might say I've been responsible for introducing at least some aspects of major communications and Internet technologies in use today. I've been at this for 20 years in one way or another, with the pleasure and good fortune of being able to work with many great people in the industry.

As corny as it may sound, I do this to reflect a personal mission. I truly believe if different people, even or perhaps especially those typically adversaries, have opportunity to communicate up close, clearly, and richly, they will understand one another better. If they understand one another better, they are likely to develop empathy for other people and their positions. If they do so, they are going to be less likely to want to hurt, undermine, or fight with one another. This can break down racial, religious, and other divides. It might even help keep couples and families together. I've done public policy work in many forms over the years, and I'd like to see more positive change in the world. I'm not likely to make that happen through running for office, or joining a cause. But if my job allows me to help improve communications among people, perhaps that's what I'm destined to contribute to the world.

No comments: